Thursday 9 February 2012

My NT Scan

Yesterday I had my first ultrasound, or NT scan. It is done between 11 and 13 weeks and measures and dates the baby and looks for chromosomal abnormalities like Down Syndrome.

My instructions beforehand were to empty my bladder two hours before the scan, and to drink four large glasses of water up to one hour before as well. I don't know many people who are capable of doing this without peeing their pants. Water travels pretty quick. Let's just say from previous experience, I decided to drink one litre of water starting one hour before my appointment.

I entered the doctor's office, already having to pee, but not too badly. I discovered my elderly neighbour there. She too was having an ultrasound and had to drink a lot of water. Unfortunately they were behind at the dotor's office, and my poor neighbour came from her appointment, having urinated all over herself and was so embarrassed. I felt awful for her. Time ticked by slowly as I waited for my appointment and hoped the same wouldn't happen to me.

I got in over 40 minutes late. I was very relieved, because I felt like my bladder might burst. When the technician found a squirming little baby in there, I was absolutley elated. I had questions for the him but his English was very poor and he didn't understand me very well, so I don't know the baby's heartbeat, or the NT measurements. I do know he dated the pregnancy at 12 weeks 2 days, which is 6 days ahead of my calculations using the first day of my last menstrual cycle. He was also unwilling to make an educated guess on the baby's gender.

All in all I was very pleased with my scan, more because of sheer relief at seeing a live wriggly baby. I will get the results in a couple of days when my doctor phones. And I will be receiving a CD with pictures in a couple of weeks at my next appointment. And I made it through the ultrasound scan without peeing my pants... barely.

No comments:

Post a Comment