Thursday 9 February 2012

I Almost Fainted

After my NT scan I was sent to the hospital lab for a urine sample and to have blood drawn, all standard pregnancy screening stuff. The lab tech was a lovely, kind woman who had trouble finding a vein because they were faint and they kept flattening on her. She tried both my arms and hands. I'm not afraid of being poked and I'm not that squeamish, it didn't bother me... at first. About the fourth time, she had a vein but for some reason my blood was dripping through very slowly. It wasn't filling up. I suddenly began to feel nauseas. At first I thought it was just morning sickness. I've never had that happen before when having blood drawn. Then I became very lightheaded, and the room started to move and things seemed far away, and got darker. I nearly fainted.

The nurse stopped taking my blood right away, leaned me back and got me orange juice. It was so embarrassing. Is it because I'm pregnant? I don't know. All I know is that I have to go back to have it done again because they never got enough blood for even one tube. And now I'm worried it could happen again.

And I am left wondering if there's a reason she couldn't find a vein, or why my blood seemed to drip through so slowly. Could that be pregnancy related too?

No comments:

Post a Comment